Saturday 20 February 2010

re POEM 28

Deansgate Platform

Sipping tepid coffee, Amante
and I trample over footbridge, descend stone stairway,
and rest black bike against platform bench; hard,
uninviting...

unlike the hint of his Jean Paul Gaultier
perfume tickling my cold nostrils; warm, familiar.

Thoughts interrupted:

by a woman in her sixties pacing
with a pinched ‘I’ve just missed a train’
expression; her short booted strides
clunk concrete. Her bright pink coat
and ash-grey layered cut gives me chuckle,

Growing old gracefully? I suppose. Just as I am; snagged
in sequined net of romance on Deansgate platform.

Catherine Mark

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love this one. :)

through the lines, i felt like watching the scene

pissipissi baobao said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. I'm very impressed, with both your writing style and your care to tackle social issues. Wonderful imagery.

Cynthia said...

Enjoyed the small yet astute
observations that build this
poem.